Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm on a Vacation from Another Vacation



Aunt Joyce sucking her finger clean after sticking it in a Farm-e-o.

This week, I have been graced with a visit from my Aunt Joyce and cousin Ally from NY, my home away from home. I attribute the birth of this blog to Ally, because she was the one who told me to share my LA faves with all of you, since I have something to say about almost every place I pass.

With visitors in town (family or friends), I take advantage of frequenting my personal hot spots and trying new ones. Here's what we've done this week:

First of all, how could you not like a restaurant whose name rhymes with its city? Awesome. While here, I tried porridge for the first time. Yeah, just call me Goldilocks. It wasn't too hot, wasn't too cold. It was juuuust right. Topped off with strawberries and pecans, this is a healthy and filling breakfast treat. I also recommend getting it with soy milk for all you lactose intolerant fools (present company included) in order to avoid a quick rush to the bathroom. Just looking out for you. The green tea latte (with soy milk, duh), was also surprising delicious. Not as good as Starbucks', but pretty damn yummy.

The best Mexican food in LA. Their mole really is "The best mole eeeen toooooooown!" Really. This place is authentic. Come prepared for a five-course meal. No menus. The dude that tells you what's for dinner will ask you what kind of meat or fish you like and go from there. It's $22.95 a plate (including the frills that come along with it) and don't be cheap and pass on the margaritas - they're amazing. Try the original one - it's like this pineapple, mango, guava concoction. $5/glass, $12/pitcher. Go for the pitcher. The service is great and they're incredibly accommodating. I was deciding (aloud) between my favorite mole and the chicken "A la crema," and the waiter brought me a combo plate without even asking. Love it. Oh, and don't forget those Lactaid pills for this meal. You get a heart portion of queso. Also a great date spot. Bumpin' on the weekends so make a reservation. Not open on Mondays. Be sure to fill out a comment card at the end and you'll get a coupon (I think they email it now) for one free dinner for each group of two or more -- not valid on weekends or holidays.

I've only eaten there once and remember it being good. I took an 8-year old on a babysitting date (hot, I know) after seeing a movie at the Grove and it seemed like there was something for everyone on the menu. It's moderately priced and my aunt and cousin say it's fantastic (they're staying in Beverly Hills so they've checked it out a bunch). The best part of The Farm? The FARM-E-O'S!! Giant Oreo cookies with vanilla frosting in the middle (see picture above). I could eat frosting with a spoon. And frosting cookie sandwiches? One of my weaknesses. If you find yourself dating me and want to get me a gift, forget the flowers, give me Farm-e-o's!
*If you eat these Farm-e-o's, get your ass to the Porter Ranch YMCA for a Turbo Kick class with Corrine. You'll burn over 600 calories in one session, especially if you sweat as much as a girl with genes such as myself.

Awesome. It's this semi-new Asian fusion restaurant (less than a year old) whose ambiance is reminiscent of Tao in NYC. Big buddha structures, fountains, dark furniture, dim lighting. Definitely a hot spot and another great date spot. Brought to you by the same guys who do the Cheesecake Factory, this place did not disappoint. Most things on the menu are pretty damn spicy, so when I go back I'll ask for everything mild-to-medium. Great drinks too. I tried the Lychee Blossom and Ally had an Asian Pear Martini, while Aunt Joyce kept it real with a glass of Pinot Grigio. Unlike Cheesecake, Rock Sugar accepts reservations. Park in the parking structure over valet. It's free for the first three hours.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You did it! Enjoyed the shout-out. Think you may have a second career in writing... will be checking in. hm I can see Temescal is first to comment, as per usual. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice thought about rolling to her back and offering him a beaver as a peaceoffering. Cathlines response was to say, come on in.
    free erotic bisexual stories online
    free young taboo sex stories
    weird masturbation stories
    young girl sex stories
    erotic love stories
    Alice thought about rolling to her back and offering him a beaver as a peaceoffering. Cathlines response was to say, come on in.

    ReplyDelete