Monday, March 2, 2009

Burn, Baby, Burn!



I am in the gym, on a treadmill, or canoodling with Marjolein Brugman on our AeroPilates machine at least five days a week.  Last night, after picking apart a rather nasty shrimp burrito from Poquito Mas (ugh too many giant tomato chunks in the salsa), I decided to go for a 30-minute bounce on the AeroPilates rebounder my aunt and uncle have in the guest room.  The rebounder is basically a mini trampoline and you bounce on it lying down.  Sounds strange, but it works.  I thought, "Okay, it's my sixth day working out this week, I can take it easy."  Wowie zowie.  30 minutes on that machine works your thighs to the point where you have to support yourself when you sit down to pee (yes, gents, I know some of you do that too).  Despite my burnt out thighs and being the nut case that I am, I decided this morning to go to my all time favorite workout class: Turbo Kick with Corrine at the Porter Ranch YMCA.  

Turbo Kick is a one hour, choreographed kickboxing workout that is broken into intervals with "sprints" about halfway through the hour.  Don't expect to drop down on mats for 10 mins of ab work at the end of class (unless you do the Turbo Sport round).  Turbo Kick works your core in each move you do.  The workout also comes in rounds, so you may do Round 25 for a couple of weeks, then switch to Round 32, then switch to Turbo Sport.  It all depends on the instructor.  It's overwhelming at first, but the more you go the more familiar you become with it.  So if you like good music and a highly intense cardiovascular workout, try this class!  Corrine is a machine.  I don't think she has an ounce of fat on her body.  She's an amazing instructor and the head of all the instructors at the Porter Ranch YMCA.  I started Turbo Kick just over a year ago and thought I was out of my mind to take such a nutty class.  Now, I hate to miss it.

When it comes to workout classes, I am very particular about my instructors.  I grow incredibly frustrated when an instructor can't keep the beat of the music or criticizes my punches when I know I've trained enough to get them right.  One such case occurred at the WeHo 24 Hour Fitness with an instructor named Anthony (no pseudonyms, bitches.  You gotta know when your class is jacked.).  Somehow I showed up on a day when there were only three people in attendance, myself included.  Lucky me.  Anthony kept yelling, "Your wrist should face up when you jab!  I've had years of rotator cuff surgery from punching wrong and you don't want the same!"  Excuse me, Anthony, but did I hear, above that lissssp, that my jab should face up?  Um, I think that's called an upper cut, bro.  Needless to say, I didn't return to his class, and I have yet to try other Turbo Kick instructors at that gym.  I did try a Turbo Kick class at the Irvine 24 Hour Fitness and really enjoyed it.  Can't remember the instructor's name, although I do remember him having chin-length hair and I'm pretty sure he fancies the dudes.  

At the Y, I am allowed as many guests as I want and each guest can come twice for FREE.  So let me know if you want to accompany me to any of my fantastic classes.  Here's my schedule, and it varies depending on my sub work:
Monday - Turbo Kick 10:30am (Corrine) or Boot Camp 6:00pm (Jenna)
Tuesday - Cardio Kick 8:00pm (Shari)
Wednesday - Cardio Kick 10:30am (Melissa) or Cardio Kick 7:00pm (Bridget)
Thursday - Zumba 8:30am (Trina) or 7:00pm (Corrine)  
Friday - Cardio Kick 10:30am (Leta) or Boot Camp 12:30pm (Jenna)

Hope to see you all breaking a sweat soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment