Thursday, March 5, 2009

Creature of Breaking the Habit



When it comes to eating, I'm definitely a creature of habit. I find the places I like and stick to 'em. Every so often, though, I stray from the beaten path. I love trying new places but am usually too lazy to get my ass out there to try them. Fortunately, over the past couple of weeks, I was able to try a few newbies deliciosos that you might enjoy as well:

Akasha: Akasha, in the heart of Downtown Culver City, is great place to eat, drink and lounge. The food is very good, and chef Akasha Richmond prides her establishment on its organic food, grown mostly in sustainable environments. Definitely order the Lamb Sliders and Hummus for appetizers. On Wednesday night, wine is half price. Pretty good deal considering the average wine bottle is $50. The entrees are hearty. Stick with the short ribs or scallops. I hear the turkey burger is pretty damn good, too. The total experience is worth the trip, although you might not be blown away by the food. Dessert is just o.k. Not much of a selection. Akasha has a wonderful vibe. It is spacious, with high ceilings, and there is a very nice patio for outside dining. There is a full bar, which promotes the restaurant's "anti-oxidant" spirit. The crowd is mostly Culver City hipsters. If you want a pleasant surprise in the up-and-coming Culver City, then I suggest taking a trip to Akasha.

Vivian's Cafe: I was introduced to this place a couple of years ago by Rachel, one of my nearest and dearest. So, today, after my brother and I looked at a condo in the area, we decided to give it a whirl (such a better decision than Togo's, ew). Seth had eggs, turkey bacon, and banana pancakes, while I opted for a chicken salad sandwich with a side of potato salad (we ate at that odd brunch hour). It's not hard to screw up eggs and turkey bacon, so that seemed all right. The banana pancakes though? Wow. I think I ate more of them than Seth did, plus my lunch (sooo not out of character for me). These two huge pancakes, the size of the plate, with fresh banana slices baked right into them, came as a part of his breakfast combo. Yum-my. Next time I go I'll try the Ultimate pancakes. My chicken salad was pretty damn good too. Simple and satisfying. I tend to be a harsh critic with the chicken salad and this one didn't disappoint. My side of potato salad was a bit funky though - more of a hybrid of potato salad and coleslaw. Pauli doesn't like the coleslaw. So I didn't fancy the hybrid but Seth did. To each his own, right? There's also a big patio dining area which would be great in the warmer weather. Would definitely go back here for a nice brunch.

Cole's: Located in historic Downtown L.A. and famous for its french dips, Cole's is a vintage diner-looking joint that serves french dips...french dips...and more french dips. This type of a place is perfect for a painfully indecisive person, such as myself. All you have to do is decide between beef, pork, lamb, or turkey. Don't go if you're vegetarian or kosher, neither of which I am. Heh. Their bacon potato salad is out of this world (I think I channeled my cousin Matt, king of superlatives, on that description). I went with a group of growing boys and we all had dips, sides, and alcoholic beverages. Total damage came to about $15 per person, so it won't break the bank. In the back of the restaurant is a speak easy-type bar called the Varnish and right next door is the Association. Both are tiny, jam packed, and hipster-friendly. The Association plays great music. Get there early to avoid lines.

Fina Estampa: On the night that my cousin Matt and soon-to-be cousin LeeAnn got engaged (mazel mazel!), some of my family members and I branched out of our typical family dining joints and tried somewhere new: Fina Estampa. Peruvian food in the heart of beautiful...Chatsworth?? Yep, kids, this gem is just east of Topanga Canyon on Nordhoff. When you walk in, it looks a bit dumpy, like an empty dining hall decked out in Peruvian tschatschkis. They seat people at the tables along the windows to make it look crowded but, no no, no es la verdad. Despite the empty feeling that may settle in your tummy, it will soon be filled with authentic Peruvian delicacies (saltado de pollo, seco de res, yuca, plantains) that leave you satisfechos. I had the rotisserie chicken, which was moist and delicious. The beans were awesome too. And the alfajores, omg. Cookie sandwiches filled with manjar (dulce de leche) that are well worth the calories they possess. We also had this doughnut with honey dessert that was tasty, but not nearly as good as those little Peruvian bites of heaven. I'd also suggest trying the Inca Cola, chicha morada, and Cusquena, all drinks native to Peru. Speaking from the perspective of someone who lived in South America (Chile) and traveled to Peru, this place brings the flavor, sparing the flute-playing street vendors. Definitely worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment