Monday, March 23, 2009

You Lucky Devil, You!

I'm not a huge fan of the hamburger.  If asked, I'd choose a veggie patty over cow meat any day.  I'm definitely not a vegetarian, although I only opt for the beef when I'm at a barbecue.  Is that weird?  I think it's a little strange.  So when my date (he wanted to be in the picture) suggested Lucky Devils in Hollywood, hyping it up along with LA's gourmet burger craze, I gave in.  He did such a good job at selling the beef that I passed on the veggie patty and scarfed down the Lucky Burger, sans cheese.  We also had Caesar salad, mac n' cheese, sweet potato fries and regular fries.  Hey, don't judge, we didn't eat until 10:30...we were hungry!  I was pleasantly surprised with everything we ordered, although the mac n' cheese wasn't nearly as delicious as my aunt Sherry's.  Decent selection of wine and a vast selection of beer (tons on tap).  A great place to try if you are out and about in Hollywood.  

Saturday night, I ventured to the Hollywood Improv, a seemingly unlikely place to just grab an after dinner drink.  I've only been there for shows, so little did I know I would spend the night schmoozing amongst some of the freshest faces in comedy, like Nick Swardson and Owen Benjamin.  Lucky for me and my obsession with famous people, my date (re: picture above) and his brother are good friends with Nick Swardson.  This guy is hilarious!  He's most commonly known for his roles in "Grandma's Boy" and, my personal fave, "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry."  We hung out with him the whole night and he even picked up our tab.  So nice!  The bar gets pretty crowded, filling with comedians and their cliques, and you don't need to pay the cover charge if you say you are just going for drinks.  If you're sly, you can slip into a show while the bouncer's not looking.  Don't blame the Hip Chick if you get caught.  

So I'm starting this new diet, if you even want to call it a diet.  I'm basically limiting the crap in my food bank and increasing my intake of veggies and fruit.  As noted in previous posts, I balance my eating with intense, five-day-a-week workouts and, although I'm fierce, I'm still not at my goal weight.  I think that's a flaw one inherits as a woman, or perhaps I'm just too damn hard on myself.  Fortunately, my cousin's fiancee is a nutritionist and she's whipping me into shape on the food front.

Before my exciting trip to Ralphs to revamp my fridge, I hit up the YMCA for my oh-so-favorite Turbo Kick class.  Today, Corrine busted out Round 35, a round completely foreign to my Turbo Kick repertoire.  I have to say, though, this is quite possibly my favorite round to date.  Good music, fun moves, an ass kicking turbo section, and "wicked" final section that will pump anyone up.  If you click on the link for "turbo section," the instructor, Nolan, is the one I loved at the Irvine 24 Hour.  When you click on the "final section" link, be sure to check out the lady in pink.  Most people start off looking uncoordinated like that, although once you understand how Turbo Kick works, you'll begin to look and feel like a pro.  Sadly, though,  some people look like fools no matter how many times they go.  If you lack any shred of coordination, I'm sorry to say, my friends, that Turbo Kick isn't for you.  I mean, you can try it, although don't be surprised if someone (ahem, me) side-kicks you as you move in the opposite direction.  

Day One of Operation Detox is coming to a close and I'm still under by 353 calories.  Not bad, eh?  Let's hope I can keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment