Thursday, August 6, 2009

Movin' On Up!

Lunch at FOOD+LAB in West Hollywood

Well, my friends, it has been quite some time since I've blogged. Despite my brief hiatus, I am back, and ready to take on the blogging world. Allow me to fill you in on some of my recent happenings.

The main reason for my lack of blogging is the fact that I moved. Yes, kids, I'm out of the valley and back out on my own in the City of Angels. Words can't express the amount of gratitude I feel towards my aunt and uncle for taking me into their home for the past two significant years. They gave me such huge amounts of love and support through so many life changes, that I grow teary-eyed when I think of how much I'll miss their daily presence. In the past two years, I survived grad school (What did you say? A 3.9 GPA? Yeah, that's right.), received my teaching credential in Elementary Education, landed a job for the fall at a wonderful school in the valley, ended a relationship that was masking my inner happiness, got two tattoos, went to Israel, and encountered the deaths of four of my beloved family members, one of which was my maternal grandmother and my last living grandparent. Needless to say, these past two years have been life-changing, and I would not have been able to hold my head up through most of these events, had it not been for my aunt and uncle. But, as we all know, life goes on, and it's time for me to grab the reins of life by myself once again.

Okay, okay, I know what you're really here for, my take on LA life. So, slow your roll, and allow me to share...

FOOD+LAB 7253 Santa Monica Blvd., Trannyville, CA 90046
This place is totally hidden amongst the Russian markets and nudie bars in West Hollywood. It was introduced to me by one of my best friends, Steph, who read about it on Daily Candy, and we decided to try it one Saturday afternoon. We shared the prosciutto with ricotta, fig, and balsamic honey reduction sandwich, cucumber salad, potato salad with prosciutto (Kosher, much?), and a couscous-like salad with dried fruit. Everything was delicious. The one drawback I have is that the service was slow, but we were very happy once the food came. Few tables, parking in rear or meters on Santa Monica Blvd. Definitely a place to check out, and the food is reminiscent of Joan's on Third, another fave and my new local hotspot.

Joan's on Third 8350 West Third St., Los Angeles 90048
What can I say about Joan's on Third? It's simply delicious. From the apricot glazed ham and brie sandwich, to the baby field greens salad, to the everything cookie and the Snickers cupcake, you really can't go wrong. Apparently, the egg salad sandwich and macaroni and cheese are amazing. A bit of a steep price for a simple lunch, but the food and ambiance are well worth it. Don't expect to snag a table as soon as you get there; this place is always crowded. Great for peeping LA locals and celebs (What up, Dr. Hahn?). Parking might be tough (meters on 3rd), but if you dine with Yours Truly, it's a 2-minute walk from my apartment. Look forward to bumping into you there.

Bollywood Dance, 24 Hour Fitness 8612 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood 90046
Talk about having fun while working out. This class is AWESOME! One of my best friends, Alice, is in town from NY, so she and I decided to try this class last night. Rahul is a fantastic instructor, with a British accent to top it all off. He combines intricate footwork, hand movements, and head nods to give you a heart-racing cardiovascular workout. With or without athletic kicks, you'll be jumping and dancing your way to a newer you. Great music, great energy, and great moves. Wednesday nights at 8p.m.

Tonight, I'm seeing what these free concerts at the Santa Monica Pier have to offer. Apparently, they're great. Tomorrow night, A.O.C. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment