Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I'm in LA, Trick!

The Banana Pudding at Toast: Well worth the $6.95 and bazillion calories

One of my favorite things about living in the city is the plethora of opportunities at my fingertips. It's pretty rare if I have to get in a car to experience great food, a good workout, or a new wardrobe (hey, I can't help it if Old Navy's workout clothes are on sale). I walk everywhere and discover new and exciting things every day. Here are some of my newest LA finds:

A.O.C. 8022 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles 90048
To quote a dear friend, "A.O.C. - A.O.Amazing!" This was my second time trying A.O.C. and it had been about three or four years since the first time I tried it. I indulged here with three of my closest friends, and we - so "Sex and the City" like - chatted over wine and small plates filled with cheese, salads, vegetables, fish, and, of course, dessert. The roasted dates with parmesan and bacon were out of this world, as were the beet salad and farro and black rice with pinenuts and currants. This is a great place to go with a small group of friends or on a date, and they even have a private terrace upstairs which would be great for parties. This place is pricey, but well worth every penny. And the wine list has something to satiate everyone's palate.

Boss Sushi 268 S. La Cienega Blvd., Beverly Hills 90211
Sushi is my favorite food, by far, and Boss did no less than impress. Try the Princess Camille, Beverly Hills 90211 and Rainbow Dragon rolls. The portions are huge. The seaweed salad and green tea are great too. Parking in back or try a meter in front (free after 6p). They accept reservations, but they're not always necessary. Yet another great sushi joint in LA. You got it, Boss!

Toast Bakery Cafe 8221 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles 90048
If you try eating here anytime before 2p.m. any day of the week, don't expect to immediately snag a table. This place is PACKED! Whether it's the food, the location, or the celeb spottings (isn't that Scarlett Johansson??), there's something special that puts Toast on the edible map. I've been here a few times and always seem to order the Garden Salad: mixed greens, sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese, pinenuts, strips of grilled garden burger, and house vinagrette dressing. I recommend the half portion, since the regular size is massive. Now don't get me started on the dessert. They have this birthday cake thing, which is vanilla cake with buttercream frosting, and I would make it walk down the aisle with me if it could. I was also introduced to the banana pudding (see pic above) the other day by my love, Liza. This pudding is to die for!! Liza and I split it and chomping through the layers was like unwrapping each of the eight Chanukah presents: the very top is Oreo cookies; the second layer is banana pudding; the third layer is Oreo crumbs; the fourth later is banana chunks; and the fifth later is all that shit mixed together. OMFG! Amazing! I had a ginormous tummy ache later that night, although the pain was well worth it. Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Toppings Yogurt 349 S. Robertson Blvd., Beverly Hills 90211
Ma Nishma? Toppings is both a fantastic yogurt spot and a Kosher eater's delight. So many Chosen People -- I love it!! It's always nice to connect with your peeps while satisfying your belly. This place is, apparently, along the lines of Menchie's, where you serve yourself and pay by the ounce. Great yogurt selections and even better toppings. You might find it beneficial to put the toppings on the bottom and the top. Try the coconut yogurt bottomed and topped (that's what he said) with rainbow sprinkles, heath bar, cheesecake bites and chocolate chip cookie dough balls. Yeah, that's right, I put all that on my yogurt. I also really enjoy the peanut butter yogurt, my cousin's fiancee likes the mint, and my cousin and brother like the chocolate. A lot of something for everyone at a totally reasonable price. How can you complain? You fill it up yourself!

Now, I know you're probably thinking, "My lord, woman, STOP EATING!!" Well, my friends, if you are dedicated readers and have been following me from the start, you will know that I eat hard and exercise hard. Although I don't deprive myself of delicious eats, most days are spent eating vegetables, fruit, tofu, and brown rice. I also workout five-to-six days a week and have added a personal trainer to the mix. A BIG shout out to my trainer, Tracie Hendricks, who kicks my ass into shape and never lets me quit. For more information on how you can link up with Tracie, feel free to contact me directly.

If you ever wonder how I crank out all this witty jargon, I do it by sitting with my laptop in my living room or at some type of a coffee shop, pop in my earbuds, and listen to Pandora or ITunes. Try this one on for size: Dance is Dead (Tocadisco Remix) by Boosta. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment