Friday, June 26, 2009

Hip Chick WV

And this was just the rehearsal dinner

Hi, y'all! I'm back from the east coast, currently detoxing from a week filled with biscuits, beer, Moon Pies, Buttery Nipples, red velvet cake, Moonshine, cornbread muffins, and a whole lot of humidity and bug bites. I'm pretty sure I went into culture shock in Hurricane, WV, the minute we stopped off at Taco Bell for our first meal. Little did I know that Taco Bell is in the heart of Putnam County, WV, backed by an Arby's, KFC, and the largest Walmart I've ever seen in my life (did you know that they sell produce?!). As you drive down the street, everyone waves to you, no one honks, and the lush green acres house big, beautiful homes for less than half the price of a two-bedroom house in the San Fernando Valley. Let me tell you, though, as much as I am a city girl, being in the country for a week truly made me feel like I was on vacation. I was surrounded by wonderful people, soaked up the sun, ate like there was no tomorrow, and remembered the importance of taking a deep breath and appreciating the simple things in life. Allow me to share with you some of the trip's delectable highlights:

The Runion-Hayes House:
Talk about your southern hospitality! I stayed with the groom's parents for half of the time, then moved to the happy couple's abode for the latter half of my trip. Never once did I feel like I was on someone else's territory, for these people truly defined mi casa es su casa. A fridge filled with fresh meats, cheeses, and an abundance of leftovers, dinners and brunches decked out with breakfast pastries, mac 'n' cheese, mashed potatoes, baked beans, and massive hunks of steak, and a variety of cheesecakes that would reward a hefty chunk of change if sold at a bakery. If all people were as hospitable as southern folk, we wouldn't have to spend so much on alternate accommodations. Many thanks again to all members of the Runion, Hayes, and Runyon-Hayes families!

Wow. These biscuits are probably baked in butter. Salty, dense, filling, and totally worth the calories...well, only if you indulge once a week. I had mine after a late night out and, even though my friend spilled water on the table and on my biscuit, I still ate it. A must-try when on the east coast.

Hands down the best cornbread muffin I've ever had. Sweet, scrumptions, and tasty with or without butter. Kudos to Scott for introducing me to these bad boys, and I just learned that this restaurant is dispersed throughout southern California. Who'da thunk?

Apparently this restaurant is famous in the south. I went to brunch here with some new and old friends and was really hoping for a healthy breakfast option. Oh how excited was I to see oatmeal on the menu! When Flo walked over, she burst not only my healthy bubble but also my friend's vegetarian bubble by telling us that neither oatmeal nor veggie griddles were continued at the Cracker Barrel. WHAT?! I had to settle for a salad with iceberg lettuce...ugh. Whoop dee doo. Everyone else's meals looked like delicious heart attacks on plates, which I would have devoured instantaneously had I not been so gluttonous the previous four days.

We ate here with the newlyweds on our last night in WV. When you walk into the restaurant, you have your choice of hibachi on the right and regular dining on the left. This place truly gives you a taste of Asia: Thai, Chinese, Japanese, oh my! A little bit of something for everyone. I was pleasantly surprised with this restaurant, and my Panang curry was sweet, creamy, and loaded with chicken and veggies. Thumbs-up, Hurricane! I'll be seeing you during my next visit, fo' shizz.

What else can I say about West Virginia? If you can't stand the humidity, get out of the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment