Monday, June 15, 2009

"Go Shorty, it's ya birthday."

Dear Hot's,
I'll take the mussels and ahi tuna appetizers, followed by one salmon teriyaki taco and one unagi taco. Yeah...that sounds about right.
*Images are much smaller than they appear in real life.

I apologize, for it's been a while since my last blog. When it rains, it pours, and I've been blessed with an influx of sub and assistant work through the end of this school year, followed by a summer job at CSUN's summer enrichment program. Needless to say, I've been busy, although it's all good things that have come my way. Despite my hectic schedule, the Hip Chick still lives, and I come bearing reviews of restaurants and classes of new and old:

As some of you know, I turned 27 on June 8. I am so fortunate to have so many loving friends and family who made my birthday so special, filled with laughter, love, good food, buttercream-topped cakes, and a buttload of birthday wishes. As a part of the birthday festivities, one of my best friends planned a dinner for my nearest and dearest at Kung Pao Kitty, located on Hollywood Blvd., just west of Cahuenga.

Kung Pao Kitty 6445 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028
Located in the heart of Hollywood, Kung Pao Kitty boasts an old world vibe with a modern twist, dark red lights and a full bar. You can find all of your favorite Chinese eats, topped off with a basket of fortune cookies to be passed around the table at the end of your meal. There were about 15 of us and we ordered family style. Really, everything we ordered was awesome. Since I didn't do the ordering, I can't list the massive amount of items we consumed, but I remember the cashew and sesame chicken being excellent, as well as the fried tofu, cream cheese wontons, and salt 'n' pepper prawns. We also ordered "adult" beverages and the total bill, evenly split, including tip (and the birthday girl's meal) came to $25 per person. Me likey. The one complaint we had was that the "adult" beverages were quite weak for their stiff Hollywood price tag.

*Word of advice: DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET!! Well worth it to pay $8 for valet over the risk of getting not one, but TWO parking tickets (sorry, Stepha).

Hot's Cantina In the shopping center at Devonshire and Reseda, Northridge
All this talk about Hot's and I still had yet to try it. Although I'm partial to the city, my weeks are spent deep in the San Fernando Valley. If any of you recall that episode of Entourage where it's the opening of "Aquaman" and the boys go to Northridge to watch it, you may recall, at the end of the episode, that Johnny Drama says the valley "isn't that bad" (despite the excessive heat and rolling blackouts). I do love the valley (c'mon, I was born and raised here!) and one of my favorite new things about the SFV is Hot's Cantina. This restaurant, with its blacked-out windows in the middle of a strip mall, is truly the definition of a hidden gem. Come expecting tasty appetizers, exotic tacos, a full bar, and a happy tummy when you're stuffed to the brim. Although the tacos aren't cheap, running $6-$12 a pop, they're HUGE and one or two should fill you up sufficiently. This spot is great for groups and a great place to watch sports -- they even have tv's in front of the restaurant if you decide to eat outside. A must try if you brave to drive over the hill.

Lola's Home of the BEST apple martini, 945 N. Fairfax Ave., WeHo
Lola's is a great spot for drinks, as well as an awesome date spot. Young professionals, deliciously fruity martinis (apple, pear, cantaloupe, yadda yadda yadda), and a very laid-back, loungey and classy feel. The food is GREAT, yet very pricey, so if you have the money go balls out, or else save the food for a special occasion. Oh, they do have "Wine and Dine" Sundays and Mondays, happy hour, and this AWESOME deal on Wednesday nights where for $23 you get a martini, an appetizer, and an entree (limited menu with good options). Count...me...IN!

Astroburger 7475 Santa Monica Blvd., WeHo
What more can I say about Astroburger? I think they need to put my picture up on the wall. The best late night dining spot. I bring friends, I run into friends, I make new friends. The grilled cheese is amazing (so simple...yet so delicious) and their chocolate shake is not to be missed. Cash only. Call me after you try it and tell me how much you love me for introducing you to it. Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.

West Hollywood 24 Hour Fitness 8612 Santa Monica Blvd., WeHo
Now I've definitely ripped the Friday Turbo Kick instructor, Anthony B., a new a-hole in past blogs. He runs his mouth about rotator cuff surgery, the "correct" way to punch, and says the word "test" into his mic every five minutes in annoyingly OCD fashion. So you might expect that I wasn't too thrilled about my decision to try his class yet again on Friday night. I had no motivation to hop on a treadmill, so I figured I'd give his class another shot. Friends, let me tell you, Anthony B. redeemed himself! Hallelujah! My ass burned at least 800 calories in that cardio-packed hour. It was a regular kickboxing class that night, not Turbo Kick, and he gave us drills that would send many people straight to the Gay Pride-ridden streets. Squats that burn out your thighs, speed bags to make your shoulders go numb, and running sprints that make you question if your legs are still attached to your body. He still gave his rotator cuff and punching shpiel, topped with incessant "test test tests," but an instructor who says: "Follow her, she's really good," to the big buff man behind me and refers to me as sexy as the puddles of sweat drip down my speed-bagging arms, can't be all that bad.

Well, friends, I'm off to West Virginia. Imma gonna be a bridesmaid in one of my best friend's weddings; the first wedding I've ever been in! Will the Hip Chick return with West Virginian adventures? Do adventures even exist in West Virginia?? I sure hope so...


No comments:

Post a Comment