Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hip Chick NY: Part One




New York is my home away from home.  I am so fortunate to have so many loved ones here, both family and friends, that each time I come to visit, I never want to leave.  New York is such an incredible state -- a melting pot of ethnicities, filled with delicious food, amazing shops, foot traffic, and the ever-so-popular NY public transit system.  This place, among other things, is known for its thick-skinned population, pizza, and heavy "Coffee Talk" accents and, as Madonna so musically states, "If you can't stand the heat, get off my street." 

The newest place I've tried so far on this trip is Five Napkin Burger, located on the corner of 45th Street and 9th Ave., and a hop, skip and a jump from Times Square.  Great selection of drinks and everything we had was delicious.  We started with the hot spinach and artichoke dip, followed by burgers, fries, and messy, messy hands.  Pictured above is the Original 5 Napkin Burger (onions excluded) topped with gruyere cheese...yum.  I can't take credit for this burger, as it belongs to my friend, Maya, and when my friend, Jonathan, convinced me that their veggie burger is the best in town, I happily obliged.  The veggie burger was big, sloppy and delicious and perfectly paired with some delicious and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside french fries.  Don't expect to pay with change at this burger joint, yet don't expect it to break the bank.  Between cocktails, appetizers, and entrees, the bill ran $38 per person.  Not too shabby for a quality NYC eatery.  This is a great spot for small groups or dates.  Chill ambience, delicious food, and great location.  

I know I've mentioned previously that desserts are one of my weaknesses, although, I'm not sure if I told you that I eat like a five-year old.  I love rainbow sprinkles, colorful chocolate candy, loads of frosting, and all that nonsense.  If you look at the first picture, that glorious cupcakelicious piece of heaven had my name written all over it.  Rainbow cake, rainbow sprinkles, and buttercream frosting on top and in the middle, created by the little angels at Crumbs Bake Shop (real people don't bake this well, do they??) in Union Square.  I just couldn't resist the temptation amidst a beautiful day in New York City, even though Crumbs is a short drive from where I live in LA LA Land.  And, hey, I'm on a vacation, which includes daily workouts every morning.  This was quite possibly the best cupcake I've ever eaten.  My brother got the Peanut Butter Cup, although it wasn't nearly as delicious as his favorite, the Artie Lange (they were all out).  One of my best friends, Jenn, whose palate I trust wholeheartedly, also recommended the Baba Booey, calling it simply "amazing."  Each cupcake is a hefty $3.75, although well worth it due to the size and taste.  

I'm about halfway through my trip (already?!) and looking forward to new adventures in the "City that Never Sleeps".  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment