Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Hip Chick Visits the OC


      I am definitely an LA girl.  Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, I only hit up the beach when I know I will be there for a short period of time and won't have to deal with the heat, sand, and disturbingly dirty public bathrooms.  Don't get me wrong though, I do have my moments; nothing beats a drink on the pier, relaxing with friends, dipping your feet in the ocean (the seaweed scares me...and my cousin Matt), or going for a run along the sand that's been hardened by the tide.  

Now this blog only gives you a glimpse into my world.  We all have a past, and the OC makes up a large part of my past.  Despite the fact that LA is my home and I have spent the majority of my 26 years of life here, for four years I lived in Newport Beach, CA, trying to fit in with the beach bunnies and surfer dudes.  I believe that everything you go through makes you stronger, and I was displaced to this beachy atmosphere mid-freshman year of high school due to a loss that no child should endure.  Although I see these years in Newport as my "dark years," I am fortunate enough to carry with me fantastic friends who were my rays of sunshine during that time period.  So as much as I used to cringe at the thought of having to return to a place that brought about such feelings of sadness, now, years later, I see it for what it is: a beautiful place to visit that is the home to my wonderful dad and his wonderful girlfriend, and the amazing friends who held my hands during such difficult times.  Now wipe those tears away and let's continue.  

When I go to the OC, I stay at the Casa de papa Hip Chick y su novia.  Really, if you stay here, it's like the royal treatment: fresh flowers, homemade sweets, apple pancakes, steam showers (say what?!) and a whole lot of love.  While my dad is busy at work during the day, his girlfriend and I like taking advantage of the beautiful sights (and shops) that the OC has to offer.  When I was visiting last weekend, we headed down to Crystal Cove for some exercise.  Now my only memories of Crystal Cove consist of my high school boyfriend and I breaking into the beach after hours with his lifeguard key...the rest I'll leave up to your naughty imaginations.  Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that I was only 17, pre-college corruption and a man named Mr. Jack Daniels.  Regardless, it was nice to see Crystal Cove in another light...the light of the sun.  While my dad's gf and I were walking along the beach, I decided to take off for a run.  Really, running has never been so peaceful or motivational.  I flipped my IPod to my most recently downloaded David Guetta songs and took off.  There is something to be said about running along the water; you get this feeling of freedom and happiness and it's incredibly rejuvenating.  I highly recommend it.

After our walk/run, we brunched at the Beachcomber Cafe, which sits right along the water.  The service was great and the food was delicious.  Gayle had egg frittata and I had the oatmeal.  The wait will be long, especially if you're there when the weather is nice.  Despite the wait, the food and ambiance are worth it, and the little table buzzer thingamajig travels pretty far, so you can dip your tootsies in the water if you take a pre-grub walk along the beach.  

I know I'm talkin' a whole lot about the OC, but I need to throw in a little tidbit about MILK on Beverly (just west of LA Brea).  One of my best friends and I went there last night for dessert after a delicious dinner from Buddha's Belly.  She suggested the blue velvet cake and...OMG...it was unbelievable.  Obvi, it's blue, but there are blueberries lodged into the frosting layers with a chocolate covered blueberry on top.  This cake is like a blueberry muffin on crack.  It's amazing!  And the frosting is this buttercream deliciousness.  If you don't like blueberries then, well, sucks for you.  And if you do like blueberries?  You'll love me (and Stephanie) forever.  I ate to the point where I was physically ill from forcing my stomach to expand to fit in all that yummy goodness.  Oh, and we also shared a blondie, but the nuts made it less appetizing.  If you like nuts in your sweets (walnuts, chestnuts...), then go balls out.  Enjoy!

1 comment: